If I Get in a Car Wreck in a Construction Zone, Can I File a Claim for Damages?

Yes. Accidents in construction zones are really no different than accidents on the open road—at least when it comes to liability. If someone else is to blame for your wreck, then you can file a claim with their insurer for compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. If you do not know who is responsible, then your attorney can help investigate your case.

Construction Zones are Dangerous

According to the Federal Highway Administration, over 600 people die in construction zones each year. Thousands more are seriously injured. Some of those killed or injured are construction workers struck by vehicles traveling too fast. However, most victims are drivers or passengers in vehicles.

One reason construction zones are so dangerous is that vehicles like dump trucks and flatbeds are entering and exiting the zone frequently. These drivers might collide with motorists, causing accidents, or the cargo they are carrying might slip off and crush a vehicle.

Another reason people get into construction zone collisions is that other drivers are too reckless when approaching and passing through the zone. Examples of reckless and dangerous driving include:

  • Driving too fast
  • Driving on closed lanes
  • Operating the vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Passing illegally
  • Driving in a distracted manner
  • Following too closely

To protect yourself, remember to reduce your speed and increase the distance between you and the car ahead. This will give you sufficient time to brake to avoid an accident.

Determining Who to Sue

Injured motorists should identify who is at fault for the wreck. If it is another motorist, then they can bring a claim against that driver’s insurer for negligent driving.

In some situations, however, the road crew might cause the accident. For example, road crew might:

  • Leave tools or machinery in the road which motorists strike or swerve to avoid
  • Neglect to post signs or set up cones to warn drivers of the approaching work zone
  • Operate dump trucks and other vehicles negligently
  • Fail to properly direct traffic during lane closures
  • Repair or build a road negligently so that it is defective and unsafe

Regardless of who is responsible, they should have insurance. If another motorist strikes you, pull over and ask for their insurance information. If a member of the road crew has injured you, then note the name of the person responsible and the name of the construction company that was hired. Your lawyer can help you submit a claim for compensation.

Call an Austin Car Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation

At DJC Law, we understand how frustrating it is to suffer an accident in a construction zone. We can help you identify the correct entity to hold responsible and make a claim for compensation. We are also not afraid to file a lawsuit if necessary to protect your rights.

To schedule your free consultation, please call 512-888-9999 or submit an online message. You only have a limited amount of time to seek compensation, so please pick up the phone today.