What Should I Do if a Loved One Suffered a Serious Injury in an Accident?

March 26, 2019 | By DJC Law Attorneys
What Should I Do if a Loved One Suffered a Serious Injury in an Accident?

Accidents can happen at any time, and many people are in a state of shock when they do occur. However, if a loved one has been badly injured, you need to swing into action to get them help.

At DJC Law, we receive calls from many concerned family members who have watched a loved one be injured in a car accident, slip and fall, or other mishap. We want you to follow the steps below to ensure your loved one is protected.

Obtain Medical Help

When someone is badly injured, they can’t even make a phone call to summon emergency services. Help your loved one obtain medical assistance by calling emergency services for them. An ambulance can pick them up.

Because your loved one is probably in a lot of pain, try to stay with them as they ride to the hospital and meet with a doctor. You can write down the doctor’s orders, keep track of medical bills and receipts, and obtain crucial information about the injuries.

Contact the Insurance Carrier

Your loved one needs to report an accident quickly to their own insurance company as well as the other driver’s. You can help them out by obtaining the insurance details and making the call. Each insurer might send you a form that needs to be filled out, but you should make the initial contact quickly.

Screen out Aggressive Insurance Adjusters

Some insurance companies can be quite persistent, trying to get your loved one to agree to a quick settlement. Trust me, they do not have your loved one’s best interests at heart.

Instead, the insurance company is in a rush because they want your loved one to agree to an inadequate settlement. Remember that every settlement will come with a release or waiver. Basically, it is an agreement that your loved one won’t sue for more money based on this accident. If you accept too little in a settlement, you can’t go back into court for more.

Instead of letting an insurance adjuster talk to your loved one, tell them to call back later. You should also not let your loved one sign any settlement tendered through the mail until meeting with an attorney.

Help Your Family Member Hire an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney

The best way to maximize the amount of compensation in a settlement or lawsuit is to hire a seasoned Austin personal injury lawyer for assistance. Finding the right attorney is a lengthy process, and you can help your family member by reading through websites and offering your opinion about which attorney looks to have the necessary experience. You can also help schedule a free consultation where your loved one can meet to discuss their accident.

DJC Law is a leading Austin law firm. Our founder is a certified specialist in personal injury law, and we would be happy to meet with you and your family member. For more information, please call 512-888-9999. Our consultations are confidential, no-risk, and free.